Thanks to Dr. Johnathon E. Bowen for his donation of bison bones to the museum. We have never had any on display despite the fact that bison were prevalent throughout Holmes County based on eye witness accounts of early settlers.
Dr. Bowen indicates that these remains were found 3 miles east of Hope Steele Co., North Dakota. The remains have been carbon dated to A.D. 1600 and were collected by Dr. Bowen in 1967. The remains include a skull, scapula and leg bones.
According to member and granddaughter to William Duncan, the grist mill was orginally known as the Oxford Mill and was built on the east bank of the Killbuck Creek around 1821 by Oliver Hustead. In 1857 it was sold to … Continue reading →
This year’s OPEN HOUSE at the museum will be held on Sunday, May 1st, 2011 from 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM. Admission is free. Our guest speaker will be Lorle Porter, Ph.D.; Professor Emeritus, Muskingum College. Awarded the outstanding teacher of 1998 by the Ohio Academy of History and elected to the Ohio Woman’s Hall of Fame in 2000.